I am so excited to feature Lisa Severino this month in my blog. She's been an artist that I have been following thru Instagram for a while. I love her art and the way she expresses it. I even got the opportunity to meet her and attend one of her classes. Let's get to know more about Lisa and what inspires her art. <3 <3 <3
- Where are you from? Where are you currently living? I grew up in Ojai, California and after living elsewhere for twenty years, I recently moved back home!
- What is your brand and/or your passion? I am passionate about making art, being brave, and helping others connect with their own creative voice. As an artist I'm required to show up as my true self (even when it's scary or hard), I'm required to heal and continue to find ways to express myself that feel true and authentic for me. This is what I want for myself and what I love sharing with others. I believe creativity can be a path towards wholeness, offering a deep sense of self-worth, freedom, and joy.
- What inspires your work? I'm inspired by nature; the ways in which things are wild, deeply connected, and perfectly imperfect. The inner journey, symbolism, archetypes, myth. I love bright colors, classical art (ancient and icon), Matisse and the wild Fauves.
- Will inspiration ever rule the world? I think it already does! Everybody wants to be inspired, whether they nourish and cultivate it or not, it is deeply needed. Ideally, we find ways of being inspired that push us to actively participate in the world and take risks that will generate inspiration from the inside out, but regardless, finding inspiration for something more, something greater, something beautiful is at the heart of the human experience. I think it can best be summed up by this quote from Robin William's character in Dead Poets Society: "We don't read and write poetry because it's cute. We read and write poetry because we are members of the human race. And the human race is filled with passion. So medicine, law, business, engineering... these are noble pursuits and necessary to sustain life. But poetry, beauty, romance, love... these are what we stay alive for."
- What is happiness to you? For me, happiness is the freedom to be my true self. Happiness comes and goes. We won't always feel happy even when we get to do the things we love, but the privilege of creating a life where I get to be myself and I get to share what I love with the world is everything to me.
- What do you want others to know about you? That I'm still figuring it out just like everyone else! Despite the fact that I paint and teach, I believe it's important to keep a beginner's mind and to know that the journey is home. We don't ever arrive... everything is right here, right now and living that takes work! And the work of creativity is one of the most powerful entryways into that experience that I know.
- How do you share your passion with the world? Currently I share my passion with the world through my paintings and sharing my creative journey on Instagram. Occasionally I teach classes using the Intentional Creativity® method which helps students heal creative wounds and connect more deeply with themselves. I am a certified Color of Woman and Intentional Creativity® teacher.
- Where can we find you? I spend most of my time hanging out on Instagram at @lisa_severino. My website is another place to find out more about me, my current offerings, and art for sale. www.lisaseverino.com
- Are you currently working on a project that you don't mind sharing? I'm starting a series of mixed media paintings inspired by the natural beauty of the Ojai Valley. In the last year and a half since I've moved back nature has been such a powerful healer and every day, I'm in awe of how beautiful and special this place is. I've also been experimenting with many new creative techniques so this will give me a chance to start creating pieces using some of what I've learned.
- Do you do this full time or is this more of a side project? I currently have a part time day job, but my goal is to be a full-time working artist eventually.
- What are your plans for the future? My plans are to continue to paint and sell artwork, as well as offer in person and online classes helping others benefit from the power of establishing a creative practice.
Thank you everyone for stopping by my blog today. Subscribe to my newsletter to get the latest news and specials happening at Jennifer Sher Art.
Love + Light
Jenn Sher ⚛️🌀💟